Granat Soup (Peanut Soup from Sierra Leone)
All across Western Africa, peanut soup is a staple food. Yet, in every country they make it slightly different and they give the dish a different name. Variations with meat or fish exist, but vegan versions are numerous as well. Of course, we go for a vegan recipe for African Peanut Soup, which brings us to Sierra Leone.
Granat Soup is called a soup, but in fact, it’s more of a curry. Usually it’s eaten with rice or fufu. I am going to be honest with you though: I hate fufu. Really hate it. So we ate our peanut soup with rice and we thought it was delicious. Which should come to no surprise, since we’ve already proven ourselves to be big fans of peanut sauce dishes :).
So, let’s get started and dive into this vegan recipe for African peanut soup…
For 4 servings
- 1 cup of peanut butter (best is to use peanut butter made of 100% peanuts – alternatively you can use fresh peanuts, and roast and pound them yourself)
- 3 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1 onion, chopped up
- 1 inch of ginger, chopped up
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped up
- 1 chili, chopped up
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
- A few stems of kale (or substitute with green collard, green cabbage, spinach or any type of leafy green you like)
- 1 cube of vegetable stock
- 3 cups of water
- Salt and pepper
How to make Granat Soup
Prep: 10 min. | Cook: 25 min. | Total: 35 min.
- Chop up the onion, 3 cloves of garlic, 1 inch of ginger and the chili. Also, peel the sweet potato and chop into cubes of ½ centimeter wide, long and high.
- Heat up 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a saucepan.
- When the vegetable oil is hot, add the onion and stir well. After a minute, add the ginger, garlic and chili. Also add a pinch of salt. Keep on stirring for another two minutes until the onion becomes translucent.
- If the onion is translucent, add the 3 tablespoons of tomato paste and stir. Add a splash of water to make the ingredient mix better. Also add the sweet potato cubes while stirring.
- After a minute, add 3 cups of water and a cup of peanut butter. Also add the cube of vegetable stock. Mix well together. Let simmer for about 15 minutes and stir occasionally.
- Meanwhile cut the kale or other greens you chose in big chunks and add them after 15 minutes. Season with a bit of pepper and let the dish simmer for another 5 minutes.
- After a total of 20 minutes your soup should be done. If the potato tastes nice, your soup is done and ready to serve. Don’t overcook, because then you will turn the potato dices to moosh.
Serve with rice (or fufu).
We would like to hear from you! 🙂 So don’t be shy and leave a comment below if you made this Granat Soup and / or have another favorite recipe for African Peanut Soup.
Recipe: Granat Soup (Peanut Soup from Sierra Leone)
Country: Sierra Leone
Prep: 10 min.
Cook: 25 min.
Total: 35 min.
Ingredients: peanut, tomato, onion, ginger, sweet potato, kale, garlic, water
Type of meal: main dish