Today we are making Mexican Guacamole and Pico de Gallo. Mexicans know how to make sauces and dips, and those two go particularly well with nacho chips.
What is Guacamole?
Everybody knows Guacamole. It is a traditional dip from Mexico, which is why the name comes from an Aztec language. Guacamole is easy to make, delicious and full of healthy fats considering it consists mostly of avocado.
Nowadays many versions exist with a ton of extra ingredients.If you ask me, many of the funky ones don’t do justice to the rich taste of avocado. So, we go for a basic version in which avocado is the rockstar and we only add some lime juice, garlic, jalapeño and a pinch of salt.
What is Pico de Gallo?
Pico de Gallo is an interesting name which literally means Rooster’s beak. Many explanations for this name exist, but let me tell you the one I like most: people used to pick from this salsa using their forefinger and thumb, making it appear as if a rooster’s beak picks from the bowl.
Another name for Pico de Gallo is Salsa Bandera. Which means: flag sauce. This is because the Mexican flag is colored cilantro, onion and tomato.
For the Guacamole
- 3 Ripe Avocados, pestled
- 3 cloves of garlic, pestled
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 jalapeño, seeded, chopped, and pestled
For the Pico de Gallo
- 4 ripe tomatoes, diced
- ½ onion (or a big small one), chopped up
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped up (optional)
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 jalapeño, seeded, and chopped up
Step-by-step Guacamole and Pico de Gallo
How to make Guacamole
The traditional way of making guac is by mortar and pestle. I really like this kitchen tool, so when I can, I will always use the mortar and pestle to bring out the best of all ingredients I use. Yet, adding the ingredients in a food processor will also work fine.
- Peel the 3 cloves of garlic and add to the mortar. Pestle well.
- Cut the jalapeño in half in the length. Remove the seeds and the white part. Chop up and add to the mortar.
- Peel the avocados and remove the pit. Add chunks of avocado to the mortar and pestle.
- Cut the limes and squeeze out above the mortar. Add step by step and taste if you want to add more.
- Add salt and mix together.
How to make Pico the Gallo
- Chop up ½ onion and transfer to a bowl.
- Squeeze out two limes above the onion.
- Cut the jalapeño in half in the length. Remove the seeds and the white part. Chop up and add to the bowl.
- Add a teaspoon of salt to the bowl and mix well. You can let this stand for a long time such that the flavors of these ingredients blend and enhance each other.
- Remove the liquid from the tomatoes and chop up in small dices. Chop up the cilantro.
- Just before serving, add the tomato dice and the chopped up cilantro to the bowl and mix well.
Serve the dips with some nacho chips.
So, Guacamole is probably nothing new on the horizon. How do you make your Guac? Let us know in the comments below! 🙂
Recipe: Guacamole and Pico de Gallo
Prep: 15 min.
Cook: 0 min.
Total: 15 min.
Ingredients: avocado, lime, jalapeño, cilantro, salt, tomato, onion
Type of meal: snack, dips