What is Spaghetti Aglio e Olio?
Spaghetti Aglio e Olio is a traditional Italian dish, that is completely plant-based. In older times it was a staple food for the not so wealthy Italian citizens. They used only a handful of cheap ingredients to make a dish that is both tasteful ánd belly-filling.
Literally it means: spaghetti garlic and oil. Strangely leaving out the essential ingredient that gives the traditional Italian dish such a surprising kick: the tiny red chili pepper. Peperoncino rosso for Italians, or sometimes diavolillo (little devil).
It’s the taste of the little red chilli pepper that gives this local dish the spice that brings out the flavors of the other (all very pure) ingredients so perfectly.
For 4 servings
- 400 gr spaghetti
- 4 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 240 ml of extra virgin olive oil (about one glass)
- 1 peperoncino, seeded and chopped (or another type of red chilli)
NB: most pre-packed spaghetti is vegan, but be sure to check the package for egg
- Parsley, chopped
- Sauce pan (for the aglio e olio)
- Cooking pan (for the spaghetti)
How to prepare spaghetti aglio e olio
Prep: 5 min | Cook: 15 min. | Total: 20 min.
- Cook the spaghetti al dente. Add a pinch of salt to the water.
- While the spaghetti is cooking, heat the olive oil in a saucepan.
- Slice the garlic, seed and chop the red chili.
- Sauté the garlic slices and the chopped chili in the olive oil on low heat. Stop when the garlic has a golden colour, so you don’t burn it (then it gets bitter).
- Drain the spaghetti and toss it with the garlic and chili.
- Serve immediately.
Recipe: Spaghetti aglio e olio
Prep time: 5 min.
Cook time: 15 min.
Total time: 20 min.
Ingredients: spaghetti, garlic, extra virgin olive oil, red chilli
Categories: main dish, side dish
Leave a comment and make our day!
How was your very own spaghetti aglio e olio. Did you like it? Do you maybe have your own variation of this traditional Italian dish? Or do you have any kind of feedback for us? We like comments! So don’t be shy :-).