What is Tabbouleh?
Tabbouleh is a Levantine parsley salad that is originally from the mountain area of Lebanon and Syria. Over the centuries it has grown to be one of the most popular salads in the entire Middle-East.
Tabbouleh has many variations. Depending on the region, the balance will be either ‘more grains’ or ‘more herbs’. There are also tabbouleh dishes that replace onions with scallions or shallots. The most colorful variation might be the tabbouleh with pomegranate seeds instead of tomato.
Most often Tabbouleh is made with Bulgur, made from a type of wheat called salamouni. The bulgur in Tabbouleh is typically soaked, not cooked. You can replace bulgur with couscous. Today we will go for a couscous variation of Tabbouleh.
As a main dish: for 2 servings | As a side dish: for 4-5 servings
- 150 milliliter or ¾ cup of bulgur or couscous
- ½ onion, chopped up
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped up
- 8 small roma tomatoes (or substitute with 4 normal tomatoes)
- 1 cup of parsley, chopped up
- ½ cup of mint leaves, torn in half
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- 2 lemons, squeezed
How to make Tabbouleh
Prep: 15 min. | Cook: 0 min. | Total: 15 min.
- Boil water in a kettle.
- Put the bulgur (or couscous) in a bowl (the one you will serve the tabbouleh in) and pour the boiling water until all the grains are under water. Let it soak for 10 minutes.
- Squeeze out the lemons and chop up the garlic. Mix the lemon juice and the garlic with olive oil and some pepper and salt and set aside.
- Unseed the tomatoes and get rid of the juice. Only use the flesh and chop up in small dices.
- Chop up the onion in small dices.
- Chop up the parsley as small as possible.
- Pluck the mint leafs and tear in halfs.
- When the bulgur or couscous has soaked up all the water, hussle with a fork until loose.
- Pour half of the dressing and mix.
- Add all other ingredients and mix well. Save some mint and parsley for garnish.
- Pour the other half of the dressing and mix again.
- Garnish with some parsley and mint.
Recipe: Tabbouleh (Levantine Parsley Salad)
Country: Lebanon, Syria
Prep: 15 min.
Cook: 0 min.
Total: 15 min.
Ingredients: parsley, tomato, onion, mint, bulgur, couscous, lemon, olive oil
Type of meal: side dish
Leave your comment
If you made the Tabbouleh, leave a comment below! It would make our day :-).