Loubia recipe for a protein packed breakfast
How do you get your protein? That is one of the questions I got most when I switched to a plant-based diet a couple of years ago. In fact, it is not that hard. Legumes contain loads of plant protein! Combine them with a grain, and you get as complete a protein as you would get from an animal product. You can even start this good habit with breakfast, for example with this Loubia recipe.
Loubia is a traditional Moroccan breakfast dish. It is a vegan white bean stew with tomato and lots of spices giving the Loubia a very rich taste. If it is too rich a taste for you early in the morning, just serve your white beans Moroccan style for dinner.
Serve with bread for a complete breakfast for 3 persons
- 250 grams (9 oz) of white beans, soaked overnight
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- 3 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1 small onion (or ½ a big one), chopped up
- 1 tablespoon of chopped up cilantro
- 1 tablespoon of chopped up parsley
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped up
- 1 centimeter (½ inch) of ginger, chopped up
- 1 teaspoon of paprika powder
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of turmeric
- 2 chilies, 1 chopped up
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
How to make this Loubia recipe
Soak: overnight | Prep: 20 min. | Cook: 70 min. | Total: 90 min.
- If you have dried beans, soak overnight.
- Boil the soaked beans while preparing the other ingredients. This will reduce the time needed for simmering the dish later on.
- Chop up the onion and 3 cloves of garlic. Also peel the ginger and chop up as well.
Chop up 1 chili and put aside together with the spices.
- Chop the tomatoes in small dice and keep as much liquid as possible.
- Chop up the parsley and the cilantro as well.
- Heat up 4 tablespoons of olive oil in a saucepan.
- When the oil is hot, add the onion, garlic and ginger. Fry for a minute or two.
- When the onion becomes translucent, add all the spices: 1 teaspoon of paprika powder, 1 teaspoon of cumin, ½ teaspoon of turmeric, 1 chopped up chili and salt. Stir well for a minute.
- Add the 3 diced tomatoes and keep on stirring. Also add the beans and the second chili and stir well.
- After a minute, add the water in which the beans are soaked (or the water from the can or the jar in which you bought them). Add the same amount of water one more time and the 3 tablespoons of tomato paste. Stir well.
- Add the chopped up cilantro and parsley as well. Let simmer for at least an hour. If the stew is too dry, just add some more water. Don’t be afraid to add too much, the water will vaporize while simmering.
- Stir occasionally and add water if needed. The longer the stew simmers, the tastier it gets.
Serve with bread.
Pro-tip: make the stew one day prior and put aside for a night for next day’s breakfast.
Soak: overnight or at least 6 hours (when using dry beans)
Prep: 10 min.
Cook: 75 min.
Total: 85 min.
Ingredients: white beans, tomato, onion, cilantro, parsley, garlic, paprika powder, cumin, ginger, turmeric, chili, olive oil
Type of meal: main dish, breakfast
So, what do you think of this Loubia recipe? Don’t be shy and leave us a comment below! 🙂 We are also curious to know if you have any other favorite Moroccan dishes that are traditional ánd vegan …