Where in the world is Samoa?
Good question. Samoa is an island group In the South Pacific Ocean, close to the international date line. They might not reach the front pages of your newspaper everyday, but once you’ve prepared and tasted their national dessert Poi, you won’t ever forget about them.
This dessert is quick, easy and very delicious. So prepare for it to become a usual suspect on your menu.
What is Poi?
Overripe bananas, lemon zest, a bit vanilla and ice. Together it makes for something you could call pudding. Sugar is optional if you like, but with overripe bananas we thought adding sugar to our Poi would be overdoing it.
Prepare yourself for the surprising (and may we add: delicious!) combination of banana and lemon.
For 4 servings
- 8 very ripe bananas, mashed (the riper, the better)
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 1 can of coconut milk (400 ml, 13.5 Oz)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (extract)
- Ice, crushed (using a mortar and pestle will work)
- A mortar and pestle or kitchen machine (to crush the ice cubes)
How to make Samoan Poi
Prep: 10 min. | Total: 10 min.
- In a large bowl, mash the 8 bananas (with a fork)
- Wash the 2 lemons and grate the zest above the bowl
- Add a can of coconut milk
- Crush the ice (I simply use a mortar and pestle for that)
- For each portion, add crushed ice to a bowl and serve the pudding over it. Mix at the table
Prep: 10 min.
Total: 10 min.
Ingredients: overripe banana, coconut milk, vanilla, lemon zest, ice
Type of meal: dessert