What is Russian Vinaigrette Salad?
Russian Vinaigrette Salad (Vinegret) is a Zukuska, a bite that the Russians consider to be a great match with alcoholic drinks. Yet, this salad can also served as a side dish accompanying other food.
Vinegret includes beetroots, potatoes, carrots and chopped onions, and sour veggies such as sauerkraut or pickles. If you want, you can add green peas or beans.
The secret of the Russian Vinaigrette Salad lies in using fermented ingredients and vinegar (or the brine of the pickles) to dress up your salad nice and sour.
As a side dish for 6-8 servings
- 2 beets (beetroot), boiled and diced
- 2 potatoes, boiled and diced
- 2 big carrots, boiled and diced
- 1 onion, chopped up
- 5 pickles (gherkin), diced
- 2 handfuls of sauerkraut
- Scallions for garnishing (or substitute with parsley or dill)
- 1 tablespoons of olive oil or sunflower oil
- 2 tablespoons of vinegar (or substitute with the brine of the pickles)
The amount of beets, potatoes and carrots need to be similar in volume – depending on the size of your veggies, you might need to adjust quantities.
- Cooking pan (preferably 2)
How to make Russian Vinaigrette Salad
Prep: 5 min. | Cook: 70 min. | Total: 75 min.
- Peel the beets and boil for an hour (if you have canned beets, you can skip this step). The beets are ready when they can be pricked easily with a fork or knife.
- Peel the potatoes and the carrot and boil together in another pan for about 20 minutes. They are done when you can prick the potatoes easily with a fork or a knife. Make sure not to overcook, because you don’t want your potatoes to end up mashed.
- In the meantime, dice the pickles and the onion and set aside.
- When the potatoes and the carrots are done, remove from the pan and when cool enough to handle cut them in little equal cubes.
- When the beets are ready, also cut them in little cubes and add a tablespoon of olive oil (or other vegetable oil). This keeps the purple color on the beets rather then on all the other ingredients.
- Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl and season with a bit of salt and pepper. Add 2 tablespoons of vinegar or the brine of the pickles.
- Cut the scallions (or other garnishing) and add to the bowl.
Prep: 5 min.
Cook: 70 min.
Total: 75 min.
Ingredients: beetroot, carrot, potato, onion, sauerkraut, pickle, vinegar
Type of meal: side dish, appetizer