“To grill in ashes”, that is the literal translation of the Catalan verb Escalivar. In the old days the Catalan grilled their veggies in ashes. Nowadays some still do. Others use a barbeque or an oven to prepare their Escalivada Catalana modern style.
A barbecue gives a more smokey flavor, but it is harder to manage temperature and cuison. Using an oven makes the dish very easy and time efficient to prepare.
Any type of vegetable can be used, but traditionally eggplant, red bell pepper, onion, garlic and tomato are the most common.
- Oven (or barbecue)
As a side dish for 2-3 persons
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 eggplant
- 2 onion
- 1 head of garlic
- 3 tomatoes
- Salt, pepper and olive oil for seasoning
How to make Escalivada Catalana
Prep time: 5 min. | Waiting time: 100 min. | Cook time: 5 min.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Centigrade (390 F).
- Assemble all the ingredients but the tomatoes in a roasting pan. Prick the eggplant a few times with a fork (to prevent the skin from bursting).
- After one hour, add the three tomatoes.
- After 30 more minutes, take out the veggies and check if they are done (it is especially important to check if the eggplant is tender).
- Let the veggies cool down for some 10 minutes or until you can touch them easily.
- Peel the eggplant and take out the flesh. Peel the bell peppers, tomatoes and onion too. Cut the veggies in long strips and put on a plate.
- Sprinkle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Peel the garlic and add to the plate or bowl.
Recipe: Escalivada Catalana
Prep: 5 min.
Cook: 100 min.
Total: 5 min.
Ingredients: eggplant, red bell pepper, tomato, onion, garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper
Type of meal: side dish